Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My asbsentmindedness

I'm frequently absentminded. Almost every single day I get to my car, or outside of my apartment building and remember something I've forgotten. Usually it happens before I've gotten too far from home. Yesterday, though, was a different story.

I woke up, prepared some cereal and realized we were extremely low on milk. I enjoyed my cereal, and then got ready to go workout. Oftentimes I read my homework while elliptical-ing. I got my notebook ready, put it next to my keys, my towel, and my water-bottle. Then I changed into my workout clothes. After changing, I came back into the living room, moved my notebook so I could grab my keys, towel and water-bottle. Then I left. The first sign that this was going to be an absentminded day was when I turned out of my parking lot. Instead of going towards the gym, I went the other way. And then I turned again, even more in the opposite direction. About a half mile later I realized that I was not at all going the right way. That's also when I realized I'd forgotten my notebook. So, I turned around, went home, grabbed my notebook, and started towards the gym (again). This time I went the right way. So I get to the gym, start working out, and 3 minutes into my workout the fire alarm goes off. Instead of hanging around to see how long it would take for us to get back in, I decided to go for a run. There is a trail kind of close to the rec center, so I drove my car to that, parked and went running.

While running I thought about things I needed to do, homework, groceries etc. I remembered that we needed milk, so I decided to go to Target after my run. I got to Target, was proud of myself for remembering the reusable bag I'd bought for grocery trips, and started wandering Target remembering other things I needed to get. Bread, turkey, broccoli, salad, bubble wrap etc. Then I checked out. About 45 seconds before I arrived home, I realized that I'd forgotten to get milk: the only reason I'd gone to Target in the first place.

No comments: