Friday, February 8, 2008

Heavy sleeper

Many of you have probably heard about how heavy a sleeper I am. I was also quite aware of it, but had thought having a puppy a few years ago ruined my ability to sleep through anything. Well, last night, that opinion changed.

I went to bed around 1:00 am, thinking I was going to wake up around 8:30ish for school. Instead of waking up to my alarm, I woke up to two sets of knocking. One sounded far away, like on the front door to the apartment, and another sounded closer, like on the door to my room. I'm a little delirious, but I realize that it is all kind of bizarre. I think I rolled over and fell back asleep though. Then I heard more knocking, and I heard Stacie say, "Jennifer. Wake up. It's an emergency." I freaked out. At this point, I thought she was somehow talking through the wall that separates our rooms, trying to warn me that someone was in the hall. I bolted out of bed, threw some clothes on (thinking to myself I need to sleep in more than what I normally do so I can be prepared for things like this), and realized that she was outside my bedroom door. I opened the door, and she says, "Someone has been knocking at our front door for a long time, and I can't tell who it is because he's sitting on the ground. Could it be Kenn?" The second she said that, I thought maybe I should check my phone. Look at my phone and there are about 12 missed calls. Mostly from Kenn, some from Stacie.

At this point you have all stopped panicking and probably have realized it was Kenn. I take my phone and call him as I'm looking out the peep hole. I hear his ring outside, and open the door. Little did he know he was going to be welcomed by two girls who were completely freaked out, one who was wearing curlers (me). So, after he comes inside, and Stacie tells him she had thought about calling the police, he asks why I didn't answer my phone. I said that I turn it to silent when I go to bed. Then he says he had been knocking for probably two hours or so. I tell him that both Stacie (who happens to be half deaf in one ear) and I are heavy sleepers. He has decided never to do that again.

The story is not over though.

After we all calm down, Stacie says something about a fire alarm. She says that a fire alarm was going off for an hour. At first I thought she said it was in a neighboring building, then I realize she said it was in our hallway (of the building, not of our apartment).

Moral of the story: I can sleep through anything. Last night there was some type of noise going on for at least 3 hours straight, and I slept straight through it. Luckily for me and Kenn, Stacie heard it. (I doubt she would have heard the knocking, had she not already been awaken by the fire alarm, by the way.)

Hopefully, I'll be living with someone if ever a fire alarm goes off and I really do need to wake up and escape.

1 comment:

Stacie said...

That explains why I'm so damn sleepy.