Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Coachella

Okay. Now that I've had several weeks to decompress from 3 packed days of music, I am ready to share with all of you.

Day 1: We showed up in time for a little bit of Silversun Pickups. Watched a little bit of them, and then walked around the festival area to check out the layout and get some dinner. We then caught a little bit of Arctic Monkeys. Once they finished, we checked out Peaches for a little bit. Then we went back to the main stage to set up for the rest of the night. A certain friend of mine known as Coach :) told me that we had to see the Jesus and Mary Chain, so that's who we saw next. They were really good. Although at one point a girl joined them onstage to sing. Both Andrea and I thought her voice sounded not so good. When we got home later that night, we realized that it was Scarlett Johansson. I believe after that we just hung out and waited for Interpol. They were, of course, awesome. I've heard from some people, maybe just one moron, that they are awful live, but this is not the case at all. They were great. It was a perfect set up for Bjork. Bjork is tiny. Probably right around my size. But for some reason, she managed to make more noise than I possibly imagined she would make. Now, I understand that she's technically not making all of the noise during the concert. But she is the one who created it. And when it's all put together, it is L-O-U-D.

Day 2: We were walking into the festival as Peter Bjorn and John were finishing. I heard them play "Young Folks" which was enough for me. Then Andrea and I split off from Jonathon, Josh and Kevin so we could watch the Decemberists. After a little bit of them, we went to get some food and heard Andrew Bird on the way. As we were eating, we listened to !!!. Then we met up with most of the crowd for the Arcade Fire. They were awesome to watch because they all, especially this one girl, looked like they were having a great time performing. I love that; when bands look like they are still having fun making music for people. Okay, so then we saw some Blonde Redhead, and then went to set up for Red Hot Chili Peppers. Anthony Kiedis is in amazing shape. I liked his body, but I didn't like his molester-stash. Overall, I was not terribly thrilled with them. They seemed to stay away from their older songs. I understand the whole, "we have a new album, so we want to play songs from it" but come on. I will give them credit for playing Under the Bridge. That was pretty f-ing awesome. Hmmm... So, next was the Black Keys for a bit. Then was home.

Day 3: We arrived in time to hear Willie Nelson. Then we heard a little bit of Placebo. Next was Air, which was a pretty big let down. They were about a half hour late getting started, and then they just didn't sound that good. So we took off to get some dinner. While eating, there was a band nearby that sounded pretty good, but we weren't sure who it was. So we went to check it out, and it was a Swedish band called the Teddybears. They were awesome. Tons of energy, and there were people onstage with teddy bear heads. Then was Rage Against the Machine, and last was the Lemonheads.

Overall it was a great time. As Jonathon said, you have to remember that the reason you miss some really great performances is because you are already seeing other really great performances.

Okay. Enough of Coachella.

2 comments:

diana said...

I bet that moron who didn't like Interpol live was Stacie, and if that is true then I will be step right up and identify myself as a moron also. We saw them in Paris four years ago. AWFUL! Totally lifeless onstage. Just stood there and droned into the mic. It makes me mad all over again just thinking about it.

Also, YES your earplug sticks are supposed to stick out of your ears! It is so that you may easily pluck them out at a moment's notice.

Jennifer said...

No, no, no. I would never call Stacie a moron. The moron I'm talking about is a certain ex of mine. And they weren't that crazy onstage, but I thought they sounded really good.

Good to know that the earplug sticks are supposed to stick so far out. I felt a little foolish at first, but assumed they were designed that way on purpose. Yippee for less hearing loss!!!