Wednesday, June 6, 2007

F@#$ all that noise

I'm sure most of you have heard about the girl who was taken from the Target parking lot near Oak Park Mall. If not, read this.

She just graduated from Shawnee Mission West, mine and my brother's high school. The Target she was at is a Target that my mom and I go to all the time. Usually alone. This happened to her while it was still daylight.

It makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it. Normally, these things really bother me, but then you make it this close to home, and it just makes it that much more scary.

I'd like to think that I am a very aware person; of myself and of my surroundings. And that, if someone was going to try and attack me, I would put up a damn good fight. But, unfortunately, you NEVER KNOW. And this scares the hell out of me. I mean, is it going to get to the point where we (and I'm probably just talking about women here) can't go anywhere alone, ever again? Even during the middle of the fucking day? In one of the safest places in the country? (don't know if that last statement is entirely correct, but I imagine it's close.)

Anyway, I guess my point is that everyone needs to watch each other's backs. This really can happen to anyone. But, I think if people become more proactive about it, and help anyone who looks like they're in need, we really can make a difference. I'm going to go buy some more pepper spray and look for another self defense class to take. Maybe mom and I will finally go to the shooting range, like we've been talking about doing.

No comments: