Monday, September 15, 2008

Grocery shopping

Today we had a group meeting (those of us living on campus) about group dinners. The past few nights we have just been going out to eat because we haven't really had groceries, nor have been brave enough to use the industrial kitchen that we have at our disposal. We decided to split up into 3 groups of 6; plan our meals for the week, go shopping, split the cost, some of us cook and some of us clean. My group is 3 Italians (Gianluigi, Tomasso, Alessandro) and 3 Americans (Josh, Claire and me).

After we broke off into our small groups, we made a shopping list, made our meal plan and decided to go shopping. Well, I decided I definitely wanted to go because it would mean leaving Asolo, in a car, with Italians who knew where they were going. It was pretty uneventful, but I had a lot of fun. I got to speak tons of Italian, and listen to even more. They speak really fast and with some slang that I don't get. Also, they have some different ways of saying things that people in Florence don't say.

Anyway, we drove about fifteen minutes from Asolo to the cheapest grocery store they knew of. I basically let the guys take control, since they are more familiar with brands etc. It turned out to be really funny watching the guys discuss whether they should get the extra virgin olive oil, or just the regular one or which gnocchi has the best flavor.

Overall, it's experiences like those that I want to have here. I want to feel like this is my home, like jumping into a car with a few Italians and going to a grocery store is completely normal for me. It seems like I'm on my way, now all I have to do is stay on course.

No comments: