Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I am definitely not adopted

Here is why:

First, you need a little background. While in Florida, my mom and I did the shopping for my grandma several times. She only buys things that she sees on sale in the discount booklet they give out. And when something that she likes is on sale, she buys many of that single item.

Okay, so last night I went to Whole Foods after working out. Stacie had recommended these particular frozen enchiladas, which I have tried before and enjoyed. So I'm walking through the aisles, not really knowing what to get, and I see Amy's frozen low-sodium enchiladas on sale. Before I can even think about what I'm doing, I'm grabbing 3 of them. Now, I don't love these or anything; it's just a "these are not bad, so I'll eat them sometimes" kind of relationship. But when I realized what I was doing, I could not stop myself. It was that Nicol gene, saying "buy them all before they aren't on sale anymore. You will eat them someday!"

I believe this is a great argument for the "nature vs. nurture" study. Unless the week that I spent with my grandma made me do this (which I don't think it did, because I've caught myself doing this before), I believe this falls under "nature". My grandma and I have spent about 3 months together, if I were to combine all the visits we've had. Over 24 years, that is not a lot. My dad's mom is insane about this whole "must buy things that are on sale", and she always has been. My dad and mom aren't really like this, at least not to the extent that my grandma is.

Anyway, I think just seeing this in action with my grandma for a week, and then coming home and catching myself doing it, really made this apparent to me. I've done this a lot, but never really thought about it until now. I am definitely a Nicol. She is definitely my grandma. Thankfully, I believe I did not get the "I must save EVERYTHING gene." Please, if you are ever at my place and you see a huge container holding hundreds of shoulder pads, give me an intervention. Not only for the fact that I am saving them, but for the fact that I have them. I don't care if they ever come back in style. They are fugly. Sidenote: I just taught mom that word, and she loves it! I can't wait to hear her use it.

I am now going to go eat my enchiladas. And don't laugh, because I saved $2.80 on them!

No comments: