Friday, December 29, 2006

Caleb

I found out today, while in my doctor's waiting room, that my friend Caleb has passed away. Caleb and I met in an Italian class my senior year at KU. We sat next to each other and had a hard time making it through a class without laughing. Needless to say, we quickly became friends. I can't remember going out, during my last bit of college, without him. After Adam and I broke up, Caleb and I dated for a little bit. Nothing serious, but always a lot of fun.

I just can't believe it.

His dad answered the phone when I called today. I've been trying to get ahold of Caleb since May, the last time I spoke with him. He hadn't returned my phone calls, or any of my emails, so I was a little worried. Anyway, my doc was running late so I decided to make some phone calls. Figured I would try Caleb again. Then his dad answered. After he figured out who I was, he told me that Caleb had died. I, of course, started bawling in the middle of the suddenly extremely quiet waiting room. His dad spent most of the time telling me how sorry he was. I didn't understand. I told him how sorry I was. I mean, it was his son. Anyway, the really screwed up part about it, is that he died in May. It has been 7 months, and I just found out. Over the past several months while trying to get ahold of him, I had considered calling some of his friends. Unfortunately, I only knew their first names, and didn't have their numbers. 7 months. And I just found out. That makes me feel like a terrible friend. I know it shouldn't, but it does.

2006 has probably been one of the hardest years of my life. I am beyond ready for 2007. Fuck dying. I'm so sad...

Caleb, I will never forget the time we had together. Who else would watch a movie about shape shifting with me? I miss you.

No comments: