Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Firetrucks as cabs

I feel like I'm turning into Stacie. I haven't written a blog in a few days, and I feel like if I don't now, it'll turn into 2 months like Stacie! Don't worry, that won't happen. I promise.

I have a lot to write. First of all, I'm sure many of you now know that there was a rather large snow storm in Denver. I was supposed to leave on Thursday morning at 8 am. Wednesday night, 8 or so inches into it, I saw that my flight was canceled. I did what every normal person would do: starting drinking wine with 2 friends at my apartment, made dinner, baked cookies, and sat on hold with United for ONE HOUR. The actual conversation with a united agent took about 2 minutes. Luckily I got on the next earliest flight which was Saturday at 8 30 pm. Once I had my flight figured out I was ready to enjoy the snow storm. Alex and Sara and I had finished 3 bottles of wine and were well into the wonderful stock of yummy vodka that I have when we decided that we would go out and find the one bar that was open. Unfortunately it was my least favorite bar, Spill. Luckily, the main reason that I hate it, all the stupid people that go there, wasn't a problem. Most normal people decided to actually stay home. Since I live downtown, we didn't see any problem with suiting up in our snow gear and walking a few blocks to Spill. And we weren't alone. There were probably 30 or so people there. It was actually a lot of fun. Since there was about 1/16th of the normal amount of people, I wasn't busy being mad at everyone bumping into me. The mixture of wine/ vodka/ lots of snow may have helped too.

Ok, so eventually we decided to walk back home. At this point it was just me, Alex and her boy, Michael. They were going to walk me home and then go back to his place. On our way we saw this stupid girl in a jeep who had decided to drive DIRECTLY into a 4 foot drift. I assume her line of thinking went something like this, "OHMYGOD, I'm sooooooo glad I have a Jeep Wrangler. Even though it's like, a blizzard with, like, a ton of snow, my Jeep will not be stopped!" Well, needless to say, she was wrong. She was completely stuck and asked for our help. I really don't know what she thought we were going to do for her, since shovels were necessary. But, being a bit drunk, we thought we could help. We started by kicking the snow. Thank god Michael used to play soccer. Alex and I were not really much help. Fortunately for Michael a firetruck was driving by in the middle of our rescue. They slowed down, obviously debating about whether or not we could handle this ourselves. After seeing us falling down in the snow, and laughing about our poor attempt to help, they decided to stop.

Four firemen got out of the truck, with shovels, and decided to help. Alex and I decided we were cold and she asked if we could sit in the truck. They let us! I had to keep Alex from putting their headphones on. After they finished, we got out and thanked them. Instead of walking me home, Alex asked the firemen if they would take me. They agreed. So I got into the firetruck and got a free ride home, down 16th street mall nonetheless (only emergency vehicles are allowed on this street, so that was thrilling enough). During my ride home, we chatted about all the people they have been having to dig out of the snow. It was a short ride, so we didn't talk about much. Once we arrived, one of the firemen climbed down and then stopped with his back blocking me from exiting. I was confused for a second, until he said, "hop on." I said, "Are you kidding me?". He said no and that he wanted to help me over the several feet of snow that had been plowed, blocking my way to my entrance. I did what any normal girl would have done; I hopped on and got carried to my apartment front door by a fireman! After telling this story to several people, I heard from 2 people in particular (Brian and Stacie) say, "Glad to see our tax dollars at work."

This brings us up to Thursday morning. Surprisingly so, I did not have a headache. Alex came over again and we decided to go find some lunch. We went to the Rialto, which seemed to be the only restaurant open. After lunch, we walked around downtown, waiting for snow that was on awnings to fall onto people. It almost happened to us a few times, and we saw many other near misses with other people. (See picture on left.) Alex and I ended up spending the entire day together, having dinner at Two Fisted Mario's and then just going to bed early.

Friday I went to breakfast by myself at Snooze. Then hung out by myself all day. Peter and I went to Forest Room 5 but then I went to bed after that. This brings us to the wonderful day at Denver International Airport. I decided to arrive about 6 hours early since I wasn't sure how long it would take. Even though the line for security went all the way through the airport, I don't think 6 hours ahead of time was a necessity. Oh well.

Now I'm in KC. I've had a lot of fun with friends. I am not in the mood to write more, so I'm going to end it here. Maybe tomorrow I'll be more specific as to what I did in KC.

No comments: