Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Bikers and reggae?

Tonight my friend Lauren and I went to see The Sex Police play at a place in south OP called Fuel. This place is obviously a biker bar when they are not having a reggae band play on their outdoor stage. Needless to say, it was an interesting crowd. The waitresses were scantily clad and looked underage. The bikers were all wearing leather. There were people who had just come to eat, and then ended up getting a live concert. There were a handful of people who appeared to be there on purpose. And then there were the weirdos.

I think my favorite part of the night was when the guitarist said, "The next song is a sad one: all you emo kids pull up the hoods of your sweatshirts and be sad." Then he proceeded to mime doing so and made a really funny "I'm vulnerable" face. That's the best I can describe it. It was really funny.

By the way, today I saved my second box turtle of the summer from the middle of the road. (This is a fairly regular occurrence during the summer since we live near some woods.) The first one I saved was a few weeks ago. He (or she) was not on a very busy road, but I figured he should still be moved to a safe spot on the grass. This one, though, was on a very busy street near my house. I pulled up to the stop sign, made a stop and looked at what I originally thought was a rock or some debris in the road. The reason I didn't think it was a turtle right away is because it was tiny! Seriously, his shell was probably 2 inches in diameter. Anyway, I stopped and stared for a second (from my car) trying to figure out what it was, then I realized it was a teeny, tiny turtle! I jumped out of my car, picked him up (hoping he hadn't already been run over) and put him in my car. I decided the best thing for him would be to bring him down near our house, and put him in the clearing by the woods. At this point, I still wasn't sure if he had been injured or not, so I tried looking in his shell. I could see his little eyes and his head and feet tucked far in, so I assumed he was just scared. Anyway, I put him down and watched him for awhile, with no movement. I decided to leave, and continue my day. When I came back from being gone for several hours, I went to the spot where I'd left him to see if he was still there, hoping he wasn't. If he was I figured that would mean he had been run over and was dead. Well, when I went to the spot, he was gone! Yea for the turtle! (If anyone ruins this for me and says, "it was probably eaten by a hawk" or something, I will be very sad, so please don't. (Do hawks even eat turtles?))

1 comment:

Jonathon David said...

Aw, baby box turtle. I remember saving many, but never one that small. Steve Irwin would be proud!

Let's go to Fuel next time I'm in town...