Friday, July 27, 2007

You do the crossword too!

One of my all-time favorite movies is Kicking and Screaming. My wonderful brother and sister-in-law bought me the DVD for Christmas. Before that, I had been watching a tape that Jonathon had copied a long time ago. If I remember correctly, the lighting and sound on it keeps fading in and out. I believe it was a way to deter people from copying tapes. It didn't work for us, of course.

Anyway, Kicking and Screaming is a very quotable movie. I find myself quoting it pretty close to a daily basis. Luckily, most of my friends have seen it and understand what I'm saying. (If you get my meaning.) Of course, there are the times when I'll offer to pay a friend for a boring story I've just told, realize they haven't seen the movie, and then explain to them why I'm offering to pay. I usually just end up saying, "You just have to see the movie."

Recently, I've been doing the New York Times crossword. I did the crossword a lot in college, usually during a really boring class. For awhile I stopped, and then when I worked at the salon in Denver, I was bored for most of the day and would do the crossword online. Anyway, here in KC the paper is delivered every day, so I actually get my pen out and do it. I was having a tougher time with one recently, and was stuck on the one section. There was one that I thought I should know. It was 4 letters, and the clue was "Gutter Site". I couldn't get it for the longest time. I must have been thinking too hard about it. Then, I got one of the words perpendicular to it, which gave me the 3rd letter of the answer to "Gutter Site": "V". The instant I saw that, I knew what the answer was. Of course, this was thanks to my many, many viewings of Kicking and Screaming.

There is one scene where Max and Kate are on their first date. It's the end of the date and Max and Kate are standing on the sidewalk, in front of her door. Things seem fairly awkward, like neither of them know what to do next, or even if they want to do anything next. Then Max says, "You've got nice eaves." Kate, looking elated and shocked, says, "You do the crossword too!" This was all they needed, because then they both loosened up and made out.

Needless to say, the word I was looking for in my crossword was "eave". It made me so happy. This is the first time I have ever actually had that in any of my crosswords. To top it off, Sunday's crossword had it again. Only this time, the clue was "Places where leaves gather". I instantly knew, thanks to my love of Kicking and Screaming.

2 comments:

Jonathon David said...

I love that movie. The quotes are so much better than frickin' "I love lamp" and shite.

Jennifer said...

I know! "I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday."