Monday, July 2, 2007

High schoolers

I've been going to several coffee shops recently to do my studying for the GMAT. One of them is located in Lenexa, and is infested with high school students. It is so bizarre listening to their conversations. And seeing how they dress. Maybe it's just been a long time since I've been in high school, but it seems like there aren't any clicks anymore. It seems to me that there is just one big group now. Every single person ranging from 14-18 dresses the exact same. The guys wear tight jeans, with tight tee shirts. And they all have long hair that is combed perfectly to cover their eyes. I even heard one of the little fellows ask his friend, "Dude, where'd you get your jeans? I am going to take them from you." Seriously. And they aren't gay. I can't even come close to imagining my guy friends in high school saying something like that.

The girls all dress like they're trying to look either worse than the others, or just more out-there. I think the guys may actually be trying harder than the girls. I think everyone buys everything they wear on their top haves at thrift stores. (I really don't have any problem with a little thrift-store-shopping, but for every shirt you own? Come on.) And the jeans they wear on their bottom haves are probably $150 a pair. Very interesting. Don't get me started on the girl's hairstyles. It's as if they purposely miss chunks of their hair when cutting it. It looks odd, and I don't like it. But, I'm not the one who chooses to have it, and I'm sure they don't care about my opinion. Anyway, I'm rambling, and I'm sure you all understand what I'm talking about. I feel old.

1 comment:

Jonathon David said...

My favorite quotation from the Stereogum "You Might Be An Indie-Yuppie If..." posting:

"If your jeans cost more than an iPod, but your t-shirt costs less than a pack of gum...you might be an indie-yuppie."