Saturday, February 24, 2007

Lonely Brunch

One of my favorite things to do on a weekend is go to brunch. I love almost any kind of breakfast food you put in front of me. Unfortunately, brunch is the one meal I hate eating alone. I couldn't care less about eating lunch or even dinner alone. I love to people watch, and I really enjoy my alone time. Brunch is a different story.

Today, for example, I wanted nothing more than to know that someone would be joining me for breakfast. That's one thing I miss about KC. I have several people that I am absolutely certain would drop anything to eat breakfast with me. Meghann and I were talking about that when I called her today. Breakfast is a new level with friends. When you can almost count on eating at least one weekend breakfast with a friend, you know you have a very solid friendship.

As I was scrolling through my phone today, I realized that the only "breakfast" people I have are in KC or DC. I believe Alex would be a breakfast friend, but she works most weekends. Sabina would too, but she's married and busy with school. Other than that, I didn't have anyone else. :( I didn't let that stop me, though. I went into Snooze and sat at the bar. Didn't really feel like reading the paper, so I just did some people watching. I was surprised at myself at how jealous I was of everyone in there. I was the only person alone. It didn't matter whether it was a couple who had obviously spent their morning lounging in bed, then finally deciding to go get breakfast, or just a few friends who wanted to talk about their night. I was jealous. Actually, I was more jealous of the couples. This is the first time in almost a year that I've been jealous of a couple. I suppose I should take that as a sign that maybe I'm getting close to ready for serious dating again. It just sucks, you know? I'm having a blast in Denver with my friends and a boy, and I'm leaving in a little over a month. Why does it always work that way? Right before you move is when you start meeting really cool people and having a great time. It figures, huh?

2 comments: