Sunday, February 18, 2007

Steamboat Springs



After a very scary drive on Rabbit Ears Pass, I arrived last Thursday in Steamboat Springs. Nissa and Ryan were already there with Sullivan and a whole group of people. Friday was my second snowboard lesson ever. I actually did pretty well, even had a few runs after my lesson ended. After my lesson that day, Nissa and I hung out in the hot tub for a little bit. Then was dinner with the whole group. After dinner, 6 of us decided to go to the hot springs. It was absolutely gorgeous. There are several different pools ranging from hot to ice cold. At one point, I braved the ice cold pool, just so I could say I did it. I think that's part of the whole hot springs experience.

So then Saturday rolled around. A man that was with the group, Bob, insisted on giving me a snowboard lesson too. He is probably in his mid 50s or so and seems really good at snowboarding. Anyway, he took me down some blues, which I thought I'd never try. It was actually a lot of fun, aside from the really hard falls that I had. Something I learned: the steeper the hill, the harder the fall. I was really happy that he made me go down the blues, but at the end of my lesson with him, I was done. My legs were like rubber. I've always kind of scoffed at people that say, "my legs are on fire", but that day my legs really were on fire. And I'm pretty much in good shape, but snowboarding is just a whole different story.

Anyway, on Saturday Ryan wanted to take Nissa to the hot springs, so I told them I would watch Sullie. First of all, I can't even remember the last time I babysat, let alone an 8 month old baby. But I wanted to since they were letting me crash with them for free. I started having crazy fears right before they left, like, what if she chokes on something? I don't know baby CPR. I used to, but I need a refresher course. What if she cries the entire time? What do I do?!?!?! I tried not to let on that I was a little nervous, because I didn't want them to worry. After they left, Sullie and I played for about a half hour, then she started crying. I could tell she was really tired, so I had her lay down next to me in this big arm chair. After a few minutes she fell asleep in my arm, holding one of my fingers. It was pretty freaking cute. She slept like that for an hour, and of course during this hour, my phone rang several times. I refused to move though, for fear of waking her. Needless to say, I survived, and Sullie was basically happy.

I left on Sunday, and luckily the roads were completely dry. I was so excited to come home, and get in the hot tub at 24 hour fitness so I could help out my sore muscles and joints. When I arrived though, there was a sign saying "Sauna is broken". I asked if the hot tub was working, and she said yes. But she was wrong. I got in the hot tub, it was lukewarm at best, but I stayed in it hoping that it just needed a little bit of time to warm up. In no time, I was shivering in the hot tub. I was so mad. So, I just stood in their shower for a really long time, hoping that the hot water wouldn't run out like it does at my place.

Today and yesterday I am/was insanely sore, which I'm blaming on the broken hot tub. And, I guess, the blue hills. But man, was it worth it.

By the way, the picture at the top was our meeting spot for lunch on Saturday. (Bob is the one in the bright yellow jacket, and I'm in front in the purple jacket (the only one smiling at the camera)). Apparently they do this every year. Pack their lunch and wine, and bring it to these 2 picnic tables that are probably at about 9,000 feet.

No comments: