Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Pet peeves I have

I have many pet peeves, but this blog will focus on the ones I have that are related to my job.

I am a "Salon Coordinator", which is what they want us to refer to ourselves as. But really, I am a receptionist. I work at a waxing salon. That is all we do here; just rip out people's unwanted hair.

Here are some sample conversations that I have daily:

Scene 1.

ME: Thank you for calling {insert name of salon here}, this is Jennifer, how can I help you?

STUPID CUSTOMER 1: I'd like to make an appointment for a wax.

ME: Okay, what service are you looking for?

S.C.1: A wax.

ME: (pause) Yes, but what kind of wax?

S.C.1: Face.

ME: (pause) Any particular spot on your face?

S.C.1: uh... yeah.... my eyebrows. (this is usually followed by a frustrated exhale, in a way that suggests I've been asking stupid questions.)

Scene 2.

ME: Thank you for calling {insert name of salon here}, this is Jennifer, how can I help you?

S.C.2: Ohmygod, HI! I'd like to schedule an appointment for a brazilian.

ME: Okay, do you have any particular time in mind?

S.C.2: Yeah, I need um, something, um, at either, I don't know, 4 or after?

ME: (Excited because I found the one appointment long enough for what she wants, and it just happens to be exactly at 4.) Oh great, we have a 4:00 for you.

S.C.2: That's not going to work. Is there anything later?


Right about there is where I really need to hold back, and not say something like, "If that actually will NOT work for you, why did you just say 4:00 would work?!?!?!?!?!?!"

I'm not joking when I say that I have these conversations daily. It's probably even multiple times a day. For those of you who know me, you are probably laughing at me. I tend to have little patience in general, and with stupid people it's far worse. The fact that this happens as often as it does is either doing wonders for my patience, or it is creating a blood clot in my brain that will rupture the next time I am asked the question, "well, does it hurt?" "OF COURSE IT HURTS!!! YOU'RE GETTING YOUR HAIR RIPPED OUT, IN A SENSITIVE AREA, WITH HOT.... (gasp) (gurgle) (sound of me falling to the floor from my chair)."

No comments: